What is Dry Eye?
Dry eye is a cornea disease that results from the eye’s reduced ability to produce tears or produce poor quality tears.
Types of Dry Eye:
- Aqueous tear-deficient dry eye is a disorder in which the lacrimal glands fail to produce enough of the watery component of tears to maintain a healthy eye surface.
- Inflammation of the meibomian glands. These glands make the lipid part of tears that slows evaporation and keeps the tears stable.
In addition, inflammation of the surface of the eye may occur along with dry eye. If left untreated, this condition can lead to pain, ulcers, or scars on the cornea, and some loss of vision. However, permanent loss of vision from dry eye is uncommon.
Conditions associated with Dry Eye are females over the age of 40, elderly, contact lens use, systemic medication, glaucoma and diabetic eye.
Symptoms of Dry Eye:
- Red eyes
- Photophobia/Sensitivity to light
- Foreign Body Sensation
What Causes Dry Eye?
- Insufficient Aqueous Component
- Poor Tear Film Quality
- Faulty Blink Mechanism
- Eye lid abnormalities (eyelids that turn in or out)
- Irregular Corneal Surfaces
Dry Eye Treatment Options:
- Artificial Tears: Preserved, Preservative Free, Transient Preservative, Drops, Gels and Ointments.
- Punctal Plugs
- Warm compresses with eyelid scrubs & massage
- Topical corticosteroids
- Dietary Supplements such as omega-3 fatty acids; fish oils
Now offering the revolutionary patented BlephEx® this handpiece is used to very precisely and carefully, spin a medical grade micro-sponge along the edge of your eyelids and lashes, removing scurf and debris and exfoliating your eyelids. BlephEx® is a new, in-office procedure that allows your doctor to take an active role in treating dry eye and blepharitis.
BlephEx® removes excess bacteria, biofilm and bacterial toxins, the main causes of inflammatory dry eye and lid disease. Click the Link for more information on BlephEx®
Please Print and Fill Out: The Dry Eye Questionnaire
HERE IS WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING :
11/6/2017-"Both of my eyes are so much more comfortable since using my Oasis mask for my chronic dry eyes"
11/6/2017-"I came in last week for an eye exam due to extreme dry eye inflammation. My recheck was today and within a week my eyes feel fantastic! Thank you Griffin Eye Center!"
11/8/2017- "I love my dry eye mask. It's heavenly and so very relaxing!"
11/12/2017 "I Love my Oasis mask for my Dry Eyes! I can wear contacts now with no irritations. Both eyes feel so much better."
11/22/17-“My Eyes feel much better after receiving advanced dry eye treatment.”- J. Eachus
11/29/17-"I'm so happy with my dry eye treatment! I love my heated mask! My eyes feel so good after the treatment.”- R. Nickel
12/1/2017-“My eyes are so comfortable since my dry eye treatment! It is truly wonderful!”
- E. Hawkins