Good vision is something everyone wants, but not everyone has naturally. Eye conditions such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism, also known as refractive errors, are very common.
Eyeglasses and contact lenses offer a suitable solution. However, some people consider them inconvenient. They want to see clearly without visual aids.
Whether laser vision correction is right for you depends on various factors. Your eye doctor can assist you in determining the best option for your vision needs and lifestyle preferences.
Understanding Your Options of PRK, LASIK and SMILE:
LASIK Treatment Steps
• A flap is created on the cornea.
• The prepared flap is folded back like the page of a book, exposing the inner corneal tissue to be treated.
• An excimer laser sculpts the corneal tissue, and within a few seconds the refractive error is corrected.
• Afterward, the flap is returned to its original position, protecting the eye much like a natural bandage.
• Treatment standard for more than 20 years
• Normally quick visual recovery
PRK Treatment Steps
• The epithelial layer is removed.
• An excimer laser sculpts the corneal tissue and within a matter of seconds the refractive error is corrected.
• Finally, a protective bandage lens is placed over the eye until the epithelium heals within a few days.
• More suitable for patients with thin cornea
SMILE Treatment Steps
• A small piece of corneal tissue (lenticule) and a small incision are created inside the cornea using a femtosecond laser.
• The lenticule is removed through a tiny opening with minimal disruption to the corneal biomechanics.
• Removing the lenticule changes the shape of the cornea, thereby correcting the refractive error.
• Latest advancement in laser vision correction
• Minimally invasive with only a small incision
Whether laser vision correction is right for you depends on various factors. Your eye care provider can assist you in determining the best option for your vision needs and lifestyle preferences.
Griffin Eye Center’s leading ophthalmologist, Dr. Neil B. Griffin, uses the latest, most advanced lasers and offers all three vision correction options of LASIK, PRK and the new minimally invasive surgery SMILE. Dr. Griffin also specializes in cataract, corneal surgery and is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and is also a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Griffin Eye Center is now offering complimentary Laser vision correction screenings. If you want to SEE if you are a candidate for Laser vision correction call 843-449-6414 or contact us for an appointment at griffineyecenter.com